Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Wanna Be Travel Writer

As a kid growing up, I absolutely loved to read!

Books and articles were always my foray into magical and imaginative places.  My favorite books were ones of adventure, travel, history or sometimes, just even plain old make believe.

From the Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, to The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, to atlases or books on actual historical geography or the origins of things,  I loved books of all kinds.

When I was 14, my mom introduced me to an author by the name of Bill Bryson.  Bill Bryson, for those of you that don't know, is an American transplant that has lived in the UK for most of the past 35 years.   Mom happened to pick up his book, "Notes from a Small Island", which chronicles his travels and life to and about Great Britain in the early 1970s.  Bill uses such dry humor in his books, all the while giving the reader really useful trivia and perfect imagery in his writing. To quote the opening line from his book, "The Lost Continent" published in 1988, he states, "I come from Des Moines. Somebody had to." I think that has to be one of the most amazing introductions ever. This is one of my favorite books ever, if not THE most favorite, for many reasons.

In his book, "A Walk in the Woods", Bryson uses such humor and imagery that it is laugh out loud funny.  His descriptions seem spot on, since I have nothing to compare hiking the actual Appalachian Trail.  I liked his book, "In a Sunburned Country" where he describes having gone to Australia.  That book is great, too, if you want something really funny to read.

In 2000, my mom called me up at work to tell me that Bill Bryson was coming to Kansas City to promote one of his new books, which I think was "In a Sunburned Country."  I was elated!!!  I couldn't believe that one of my favorite authors was going to be in my hometown!  There was no way I was going to miss it. My mom, knowing how much I admired him, as well did she, purchased tickets to go see him at the Unity Temple right off of 47th Street in Kansas City, MO, on the Plaza.

We walked into the auditorium of the Temple.  The seats were theatre-like seats that were upholstered in pink plush material. Awestruck that BILL BRYSON was only 10 feet away from my nose!!!  IWhy the hell aren't there more people here?!" I thought to myself, as the auditorium had only about 20 people sitting there. Perhaps some people just aren't as cultured as my mother and myself.

Bryson finished his reading excerpt and began to take people to sign their books. Mom and I had both "Notes from a Small Island" and "The Lost Continent" in our hands.  I stood in line waiting for his autograph, and thought of some really witty and influential things to say for my turn.

I was going to say this:

"Mr. Bryson, it is such an honor to meet you. You've inspired me to write comedically after having read every book that you've published thus far.  I want to travel and write about the things I encounter, just like you!"

When my turn finally came, I stood in front of him agog.  More of like a statue...  Mom nudged me as if to say, "Move!" but I just stood in front of him with my mouth hanging open.

Instead, my careful speech went right out the window. All I could muster up was, "I like your books." with a dumb look on my face, my eyes big and my mouth hanging open like a lush. He looked up, smiled, thanked me and signed my book. Mom's turn came next. I can't remember what Mom said because I was in such a kerfuffle about what I had WANTED to say, but could not.  ARGH!  "Really, Ren?! That's all you can say?!!" I thought to myself.  What was WRONG with me?!!!

In any case, my post today is not ALL about Bill Bryson. But just to say that I still aspire to become a travel writer like him. I also want to write about useless trivia that fascinates people, like myself.

I am getting there.  I know that I will become a published writer someday.  I've always had a knack for writing.

We'll just see how soon. :D

XOXO

Vallazza-Raptor

No comments:

Post a Comment